This conference will discuss the challenges and dilemmas of Southern European Societies in several strands of research in order to provide an authoritative account of the current situation. Participants are invited to discuss comparative research and specific studies with general implications as a means to understanding Southern European Societies at regional and international level.
Although other proposals will be welcome, we especially invite papers on the following topics:
- Social problems in Southern European Societies (poverty, violence, social exclusion, unemployment, etc.) -Social trends and social transformations (employment, science and innovation, education, family, gender issues, migration, etc.);
- Social and cultural structures in the south of Europe (stratification, social classes, statuses, values, identities and cultural patterns) ;
- Institutions and governance (institutions related to welfare, education, politics, economy, etc.; informal institutions; institutional quality; institutional dependence)
- Convergence and divergence in Southern European Societies (social differentiation and social convergence between southern European regions and countries. Convergence and divergence processes in the European Union domain and beyond)
- Social issues and trends in the Mediterranean Area, the Middle East and other areas of Europe with implications for Southern European Societies
- The production of sociological knowledge for informing policy making in southern European regions and countries (applied research, orientation or research and relationship between sociological research and policy)
Abstract submission: From 15st of May to 15th of July
Notification of acceptance: 5th of August
Publication of the preliminary programme: 1st of September
Registration: From 5th of August to 15th of September
Publication of the final programme: 20th of September
A selection of papers subject to peer review will be published in edited volumes of the book series “Southern European Societies”, published by Edward Elgar in collaboration with the ESA RN27 (see flyer in attachment). Other papers will be offered the possibility of publication in specials issues arranged with selected journals.